Five Reasons the Definition of an NC State Academy Matters
At NC State, an academy identifies a true universitywide effort involving all 10 colleges. It encompasses multiple departments, centers and institutes and addresses all three pillars of the university’s land-grant mission: education, research and service to the state of North Carolina.
Why is this definition important?
- The scope of the definition distinguishes an NC State Academy from existing entities such as initiatives, institutes, centers, departments and colleges.
- The vision highlights the uniqueness of NC State’s approach to whole campus efforts.
- The inclusiveness galvanizes interdisciplinarity and collaboration.
- The scale attracts and motivates participants, partners, and donors.
- The mission to involve every college and pillar guides prioritization, strategic planning and assessment.
This clear directive for Academies from the Provost provides a common vision and motivating principles that will tie the academies together and guide their work.